Passed MCPD ASP.NET exam

I have finally passed the MCPD for ASP.NET 3.5 Web developer exam. When I took my first exam back in 2006 my goal was to try and eventually become MCPD – enterprise developer. But I just never took the time to study and take exams, I moved away from working in 2.0 to start with 3.5 and the 2.0 exams became less and less attractive so I realigned my sights on the 3.5 enterprise certification. […] Read more »

Passed 70-562 MCTS ASP.NET 3.5

pencil and eraser on paper by shawncampbell, on Flickr

Last week while i was at the MCT Summit in Stockholm attending Train the Trainer I also sat down to do exam 70-562 and passed! As usual I used transcender to study and obviously I have worked with ASP.Net technology since it was released, which kinda helps! Read more »

Reflections on three days at Tech Ed

This is my third day at Tech Ed 2008 in Barcelona, the breadth of the technologies and languages that we as .Net developers now need to at least understand and preferably master to some degree is enormous. I believe that developers will need to specialize more explicitly on certain technology areas to remain productive in the future. It has been impossible to master all of Microsoft’s products for many years now but up until a […] Read more »

BizTalk 2006 MQSC Adapter Encoding Solution

Working with Websphere MQ and the MQSC adapter is quite new for me and I have been struggling with a couple of problems which have been very difficult to find solutions to. One of our main issues has been getting the correct character encoding of outgoing messages to MQ. BizTalk would output the message with the correct encoding (using a file send port to verify) and it looked like the messages on the WebSphere MQ […] Read more »

Remove Byte Order Mark from a BizTalk 2006 outgoing messages

The BOM is a two to four byte sequence at the start of an encoded file which tells the recipient if the characters are encoded using big-endian or little-endian byte order. In BizTalk generally the byte order mark is added when a file is UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoded using an XML assembler in a send pipeline. Sometimes applications cannot handle the initial bytes and you don’t want them to be added to your message. I […] Read more »

URL Rewrite Does Not Work on Vista

While trying out a complex URL rewriting scenario in ASP.Net I ran into a pretty strange problem that resulted in a 404 error: Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. Requested Url: /6.aspx/t.aspx My code is very similar to a solution that I […] Read more »

Remember to always have a static customErrors page

I was just surfing around on http://forums.microsoft.com and got a yellow screen of death! I must say I was slightly surprised. In web projects that I have been involved in we have always added two customErrors pages one to handle generic errors which redirects to an errorpage.aspx page and then a static html page errorpage.html which is only used when an error occurs on the dynamic error page… A sample configuration using location follows: <configuration> […] Read more »

Duplicate User Accounts in Active Directory

We have just had a major Active Directory issue that has affected the Team Foundation Server instance that all the developers at the client that I am working at use. The problem occured when some users where erased in the Active Directory and were subsequently recreated with the same user names. These new user accounts cannot access the Team Foundation Server. A large part of the problem was solved by just removing users from TFS […] Read more »

Java Web Service Client problems

I have been having some trouble lately trying to debug a .Net web service that I have constructed for a proof of concept. The scenario is that we have a Java application that calls a web service and the web service passes the call on to BizTalk for processing. Not a terribly complex scenario so I wasn’t expecting much trouble setting up the POC. Unfortunately we have experienced  some really strange problems. Calling the web […] Read more »

Getting aggregator pings to work with medium trust

I seem to have managed to get server pings from dasBlog to work in medium trust! This has been a major issue for me previously, not as much of an issue now that I primarily use off-line tools but it is still great to have it. The key is that originUrl in the medium trust settings supports regular expressions! More info on Haacked, which is where I found the solution. Just to make things clear: […] Read more »